Welcome to the historic town of Manitowaning, located on Highway 6, 545 km (341 miles) from Toronto, and 328 km (250 miles) from Sault Ste. Marie. The first European Settlement on Manitoulin Island, the settlement was established in 1837 as a centre of local government and education for native peoples.
||St. Paul's Anglican Church was started in 1845 and is the oldest Anglican Church in Northern Ontario. In 1862 the 'Manitoulin Treaty' was signed by all but the natives of Wikwemikong and land was opened up to European settlement.|
|For many years Manitowaning was a major shipping port on Manitoulin Island. The S.S. Norisle, on display at Heritage Park, was a former cargo and passenger ferry in service from 1946-1974. Manitoulin Roller Mills and Burn's Wharf were built in 1883 and contain some of the original machinery.|
|Across from St Paul's Anglican Church is the Manitowaning Lighthouse, built in 1886.|
|On Arthur Street is the impressive stone building which now houses the Assiginack Museum. Built in 1878, the building first served as a jail and later as a municipal office and library. In 1955 it was opened as a museum.|
|As well as the museum, there are several other historic buildings on the site. These historic buildings are open to visitors each summer, both at the museum and Heritage Park.|