Points of Interest

Little Schoolhouse Museum
Local Churches
John Budd Memorial Park

Map of Town

Local Accommodation

South Baymouth Guest House

Wigwam Gift Shop and Motel

Huron Motor Lodge

Big Buck House Keeping Cottages

South Bay Resort

Buckhorn Motel

Bears Inn


Carol & Earl's Restaurant & Farmer's Market

Island Fish & Chip

Soth Baymouth Marina Take-Out


Noah's Bike Rental

Chalet Gift Shop and Coffee Shop

Carl's Trading Post

Contact Us

Each year South Baymouth welcomes to Manitoulin Island thousands of visitors, who travel daily on the ferry Chi-Cheemaun. Regular ferry service between Tobermory and Manitoulin Island was introduced in 1932.

The Island's early inhabitants named this community Sagradawawong, "The Outlet", which like its present English name, identifies the precise location at the very mouth of south Bay.

The history of South Baymouth is of necessity bound up with the history of fishing along the south shore of Manitoulin. The original settlers moved from a finy fishing station at Walker's Point (mid-way to Michael's Bay), building their homes in the late 1870's at the "Mouth".

Ferry Terminal

Inside the terminal building is a tourist information booth, publish washrooms and the ONTC offices. An addition to the main structure, completed in 1996, houses the village's water treatment plant.

Little Habour Marina

This modern marina has over 70 boat slips and facilities which include fuel pumps, boat pump-out, electrical hook-ups, launching ramp, bathrooms and showers, and a laundromat. Also available are chartered fishing boats.


This winding boardwalk takes one beside a wetland where frogs, ducks, minnows and other aquatic life may be obsverved. Follow it around the Marina and observe the many small activities happening. Take the bridge across a narrow channel to a small island where one will find the lighthouse and a gazebo. From the observation deck enjoy a panoramic view of Lake Huron and watch the Chi-Cheemaun come in.